Vintage musical instruments marketplace and community.

Pure Vintage Is Your Community And Marketplace For All Things Vintage

My 1943 Martin 0-18

• My 1943 Martin 0-18

Posted by Pure on March 21, 2022 at 10:40 pm

…..one I wish I never sold. Small body pre-war Martins are sweet. The replacement pickguard was fashioned from a piece of orginal old stock that was sourced from Mike Longworth by Steve Kovacik, a very talented luthier in Upstate NY. (Thanks Steve), This 0-18 was very special brought back to life by Craig Landau in Charlotte.

Pure replied 6 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • dtester

March 22, 2022 at 3:10 pm

What makes this guitar so sweet?

• Pure

Organizer
      March 24, 2022 at 12:22 pm

Hi Dan:

3 things I can think of

1. Adirondack Spruce Top

2. Scallop Bracing

3. Ebony Rod Neck Reinforcement

The term “Pre-War” does not point to or line up with what we'd consider our entry into WWII, but is a description of features incorporated into this model in the late '30s and perceived to have resulted in a higher level of craftsmanship and detail especially in some of the more ornate models. That subjective period cut-off period for me is the end of the scallop top bracing or 1943-1944.

When these Adirondack tops age, the wood opens up, vibrates more freely, increasing the tonal range, sustain and it gets better over time. Reducing the mass with scallop bracing provides support without deadening the sound. and the ebony neck reinforced neck adds to the woody sound so loved on these models. In the end, this combination of features makes this model so special for fans of small body Martins.

Thanks,

Jim

Featured

[adverts_list columns="1" posts_per_page="1" category="106" list_type="featured" search_bar="disabled" show_pagination="0"]

Featured

[adverts_list columns="1" posts_per_page="1" category="109" list_type="featured" search_bar="disabled" show_pagination="0"]
[adverts_categories show="all" columns="4" sub_count="10"]